Okay, I must admit that this is the first time in my life that I ever made meatloaf. My husband makes the best meatloaf ever, so usually I just make him fix supper anytime we decide on meatloaf. However, since I began this series here on Gather I thought I should be the one to fix all the meals, since I would be making posts out of them and sharing the recipes and photos and all. I also have to admit that this was pretty darn good meatloaf, if I do say so myself!! Here's what I took:
1 pound ground turkey 1 medium onion, shredded 1 carrot, shredded
salt & pepper to taste approx. 1 tsp garlic powder one hand full of instant oats
1 small can mushrooms 4 TB apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup ketchup
2 TB brown sugar 2 slices bacon
And here's what I did:
- I took the ground turkey, shredded onion & shredded carrot (I used the shredder to do this of course), salt & pepper, garlic powder, oats, and mushrooms and mixed them together in a bowl using my hands.
- I then coated a 1 and 1/2-quart oval casserole dish with cooking spray and pressed the meat mixture firmly into it, making sure it was flat on top.
- Next, I laid the 2 slices of bacon on top (you could use more than 2 of course).
- In a small bowl I combined the ketchup, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar and poured that on top of the meat and bacon. This was my sauce.
- I covered the dish and baked it at 350 for 1 hour. Voila!
This was served with mashed pototoes and seasoned green beans.
You can see additional posts in the 2009 "Eating While Broke" series by clicking the following links:
Recipes from 2008 can be found at the following links: