It seems that I remember in some self-help book about growing old being advised to learn something new every day. Seems like a good idea, even if you are not past the half century mark. So allow me to occasionally share with you things that I have learned recently. It could be in an interesting conversation, the news, or a book or magazine I am reading. They are the things that stick you and you file it away for future reference.
Just to present, what I believe just as important, I make a list of things that I REFUSE to learn anything about. This could be because it involves exploitation, is just plain dumb, is a waste of time and brain cells, or is just plain annoying. I think it is an important thing to do in order to keep your sights on important things that are “Just the facts, Mam.”
I will try and do this occasionally mostly because I need to vent since my opinions seem to be about as sought after as a compromise in Congress.
So Here Goes….What I Learned Recently…
1. George Bernard Shaw wrote a play on the life of Joan of Arc which helped Shaw win the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1925. I did not know this but have found a reasonably priced copy.
2. The Sound of Music was a stage play BEFORE a movie. This I discovered while looking at old LIFE magazines where it was featured on the cover.
3. That the old nun’s habits were more hindrance than help on a downtown Chicago bus. (Per Sister Barb.)
4. And last but not least “Consider this unique and imposing distinction. Since the writing of human history began, Joan of Arc is the only person, of either sex, who has ever held supreme command of the military forces of a nation at the age of seventeen.” Louis Kossuth
*******I promise future posts will get off this particular track of interests.
What I Refuse To Learn Anymore About…….
1. Chick A’ Fil.. or whatever...
2. Honey Boo Boo
3. The Kardashians
4. Buying Vacation Homes Overseas.