So, we have gotten some sturdy journals in at work, with heavy board covers instead of soft cardboard ones. I thought these would be AWESOME to make "altered" journal covers with.
I've been working with 2 of them, and finally (almost) finished one:
This is the cover of the journal before I did anything to it. Its very pretty as it is, but I wanted to play with it.
So I took it home, grabbed a couple of paints and went to town.
This is what it looked like after its first coat of paint. I didn't gesso it first because I wanted to use some of the original cover art in the finished piece. I also used Craft Smart paint. Craft Smart is Micheal's store brand of paint and it is so very cheap. It is the most watered down paint I have ever used, and its pretty much worthless unless you DO want whatever you're painting on to show up underneath.
After I got that layer on I put on a coat of crackle medium, then a layer of black. I wanted the black to crackle and show the brown and bits of the flowers underneath.
Well, my crackle medium didn't crackle. I'm not sure why, as I've used it before with no problems. The only thing I can figure is that it didn't like the cheap Craft Smart paint.
But you could see where it was SUPPOSED to crack, so I thought maybe I could wipe the paint off those spots and the crackle would show up. So I grabbed a baby wipe and started wiping it down.
Then THIS happened:
Well, that's OBVIOUSLY not a crackle finish, but it did look wonderfully distressed. It was a mistake, but I liked the way it turned out.
So, after that dried I grabbed my "Button Box" which is full of buttons and tiny bag of random ephemera. I had wanted sort of a steampunk look to the finished product, but it turned out I don't have as much steampunk stuff as I do whimsical stuff. So, its not exactly steampunk, but is TOTALLY distressed. And here is what it looks like:
I still have to get a couple of coats of sealer on it. And the glue I had didn't want to stick the dimensional bits down so I have to fix that. But for the most part, this is what the finished book is going to look like.