Chef Carla Vavala offered a wonderful recipe for Thai Chicken Soup in her book Fusion of Food and Friends. I used all the wonderful flavors of that recipe but changed the focus from chicken to scallops. Nice! If I do say so myself.
I used whole wheat egg noodles to really give the dish a healthy kick.
Found on page 36 of the book â€œFusion of Food and Friendsâ€ by Carla Vavala.
- 1 1/2 TBS olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper (cayenne)
- 32 oz No-Chicken Broth
- 14 oz can Lite Coconut milk
- 1 1/2 TBS Asian fish sauce (found in the ethnic specific aisle in the grocery store)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- zest from one lime
- 1/2 lb whole wheat egg noodles â€“ cook according to package al dente
- 1 lb fresh sea scallops
- juice from one lime
- 3 TBS basil, chopped
- *I added chopped asparagus for vegetables
In a large pot, add oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, coriander, ginger, pepper, red pepper and cook for one more minute.
Add the broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, salt, and zest. Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes while the noodles cook.
Drain the noodles when done and after 10 minutes of cooking the sauce, add the scallops and continue simmering for another 10 minutes. Add the asparagus at this time as well if using.
Remover from heat, stir in noodles, lime juice and basil.
A simple, fresh taste and completely satisfying.
Whatâ€™s your favorite substitute for chicken?