It turns out that a Washington State Walmart had more in stock than just merchandise last Friday. Mica Craig, 47, was bitten on the hand by a foot-long Walmart rattlesnake as he was reaching for a bag of mulch for his marijuana plants, which he grows for medicinal purposes.
Walmart is deeply sorry for the incident and is in the process of finding out how the critter got into the store without being noticed--until, of course, he bit someone.
How were they to know that snakes would love their garden department as much as humans? The huge corporation has apologized to Craig who was rushed to the hospital where he received 6 bags of anti-venom and still may permanently lose feeling in two of his fingers.
"As of right now, my little finger doesn't move at all and my ring finger barely moves. I'm just hoping that my hand works."
To help insure that there are no more incidents of snakes hiding in their stores, Walmart is working with a pest management team and 'sweeping' the property to make sure there is no more 'rattlesnake activity'.
Although he says that the unfortunate snake bite incident was the most scared he has ever been and unashamedly told reporters that he screamed 'bloody murder' in the parking lot, Craig killed the Walmart rattlesnake with a little dance.
"I reached down to grab the stick to move it out of the way, and the snake stretched out, turned around and got its fangs in my right hand. I slung it off and I did a tap dance on it until it was dead."
The question of whether the snake came from a nearby field or was shipped in with garden supplies is still being investigated. In any case, it is something to think about when reaching your hand into that back section of the shelf at your nearby gardening store, isn't it?