A moist fruity loaf with a Cornish sea salt encrusted top. Excellent with cheeses, cold cuts, soups and casseroles. Baking in the round casserole gives this bread a unique shape, also the heat retention properties of the cast iron aids the speed and evenness of the baking.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes + 40minutes-1 hour rising time
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
· 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra to grease the casserole
· 750g (1lb 10oz) strong white flour + extra to dust the casserole and for kneading
· 2 teaspoons Cornish sea salt - crushed
· 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 sachet (7g) instant fast acting dried yeast
· 375ml (1 ½ cups) very hot water
· 125ml (½ cup) milk
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 70g (2 ½ oz) semi dried cranberries
· 3 tablespoons freshly chopped rosemary
· 2 teaspoons Cornish sea salt for the topping
Oven: 190ºC / 375ºF / Gas Mark 5, pre-heated. Fan Oven: 170ºC
Grease the casserole with a little oil and dust lightly with some of the extra flour. (NB: the lid is not required for this recipe)
1. Sieve the flour into a large warm bowl and stir in the yeast, black pepper and the 2 teaspoons of crushed sea salt.
2. Put 375ml (1 ½ cups) very hot water into a jug and add the cold milk and the olive oil to it. (This will give you the correct temperature for mixing)
3. Stir the cranberries and rosemary into the dry ingredients then gradually stir in the liquid. The dough should be slightly wet, but not sticky – if it seems a little dry add a little more milk.
4. Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface, knead gently for 1-2 minutes until smooth and roll into a ball.
5. Transfer the dough ball to the casserole with any seams or folds tucked underneath. Brush the top with a little olive oil. Cover loosely with oiled cling film wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for between 40 minutes to 1 hour. The dough should be well risen and just over the rim when it is ready to bake
6. Remove the cling film and sprinkle the sea salt over the top of the dough before baking in the centre of the oven for 35-40 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool in the dish for 5 minutes before turning out.