If you've got a piece of furniture which you want to turn into a piece with a distress wood effect, then you can follow these steps here. Rather than purchasing an antique which is a very old piece of furniture that may have signs of cracks and have issues with losing functionality, you can create a troubled look yourself. They look good in any decor which needs a touch of the sublime French or other european feel to add character to the room or home.
This is how to form the troubled finish on wood furniture.
1. If the wood has been painted over previously, sand the wood gently so that the new paint ( later ) to adhere properly.
2. Wear safety glasses before you start, and fill an old pillowcase with nuts and bolts, and use this to pound areas of the wood to creates dents. You can make a little number or many areas of dents according to the look that you want.
3. Employ a chisel and gradually chisel away some dents to the furniture on the surfaces as well as on some edges. Alternatively, you may use a hammer and gently hit the wood with the edge of the hammer to form these indents. Don't overdo these dents, but create just enough to give you the look you would like.
4. Apply a coat of paint to the entire piece and permit to dry. The color is up to you and many of us use creams, beiges, and white, including the see though finishes which will permit the character of the wood to show through.
5. Once dried, sand areas of the surface and edges with sandpaper to form areas of weathering on the wood according to your preference. If you use fine paper, the effect will be delicate, but if you employ a rougher paper, then you can create some fine lines if you so wish.
6. Ultimately, apply a layer of wood stain or varnish. Just check with that this is compatible with the paint that you have used. Ask the store workman expert on paints and polishes if you're uncertain.
So as you can see, you can custom any of these steps to make the type and quantity of weathering and trouble in the wood as suits the piece of furniture and your taste. Troubled finish on pine furniture can make a French romantic feel to your room or home, or a feel of western european class, particularly when mixed with wall art. When you add these touches to your home, you can make a unique feel that will provoke yourself and your guests.
This article, the best article ever, kindly provided by UberArticles.com
My Dallas Painters has been in the field of Dallas Painter for a long time and maintains a website about painter in Dallas where you can get answers to the rest of your questions.
cary painting: cary painting