Dad actually made this dessert. With no help from mom. It turned out awesome!
It is adapted from Midwest Living magazine.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups sliced fresh peaches or frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed and well drained on paper towels
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 T light corn syrup
- 1 T butter
- 1 t lemon juice
- Vanilla or peach ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x9x2" baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/4 cup butter til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just til moistened (batter should be lumpy).
3. Spread batter into prepared pan. Halve any large peach slices. Arrange peach slices in a single layer on top of batter.
4. For topping, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, the 1 tablespoon butter and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Drizzle over peach slices.
5. Bake 40-45 minutes or til a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream, if using.