While the art of cleaning your kitchen usually does not require knowledge in the application of special hazmat measures, there are safety precautions for using household ammonia in the kitchen that need to be acknowledged and followed closely. Household ammonia can cause minor to severe issues with the eyes, skin and respiratory system that can easily require an emergency room visit, and a few simple, common sense precautions can ensure kitchen chores can be completed without injury. It needs to be understood that these safety precautions apply not only to the use of ammonia taken from a bottle of ammonia, but from every commercially purchased cleaning agent that ammonia is a component of - which is the majority. It is a wise move to become familiar with the instructions on the label of the product you are using, including first aid measures for accidents.
When using household ammonia it is always best to wear protective rubber gloves and to apply the ammonia first to a cloth or sponge and then wipe the item to be cleaned. This prevents the possibility of over-spray and reduces the amount of the ammonia mist in the air that may be inhaled. When finished using household ammonia in the kitchen always store the cleaner in a secure location in a clearly labeled container, away from access by children or pets preferably in a locked storage cabinet.