Baked French Toast Casserole With Maple Syrup
Day 1 Ingredients:
1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
Egg replacer for 8 eggs*
2 cups vegan creamer
1 cup milk alternative
2 Tbsp. vegan cane sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
*I used 1 banana, 1/2 cup applesauce, and Ener-G Egg Replacer for 4 eggs, and it turned out fine.
- Slice the French bread into about 20 slices, 1-inch each.
- Arranges the slices in a generously "buttered" 9-inch-by-13-inch flat baking dish, in rows, overlapping the slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg replacer, vegan creamer, milk alternative, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly.
- Pour the mixture over the bread slices, making sure that all are covered evenly, and spoon some of the mixture in between the slices.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Day 2 Ingredients (for the Praline Topping):
2 sticks (1 cup) vegan butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup*
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350Â°F.
- Prepare the praline topping by combining all the ingredients in a medium bowl and blending well.
- Spread the praline topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup.