French Green Lentil Soup
1/2 cup French green lentils
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 medium-sized)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic (2 large cloves)
3 Tbsp. virgin olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. minced thyme (dried or fresh)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup diced celery (2 stalks)
1 cup diced carrots (2 carrots)
2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- In a small bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sautÃ© the onions and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 10 minutes over medium heat or until the vegetables are translucent and very tender.
- Add the celery and carrots and sautÃ© for 5 more minutes. Add the vegetable stock, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until the lentils are cooked through.
- Uncover and check the soup periodically to ensure that there is enough liquid to cover the lentils. Add more broth and/or water if needed.
- Check the seasonings and adjust to taste.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar.
If desired, sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top when serving.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
This recipe was adapted from Kiss My Spatula.
- Avocado Cream Pasta
- Garlic-Parsley Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Lima Bean Soup
- Mint Chocolate Chip Vegan Ice Cream