My mother has received a form we are told is from the US Census Bureau called the American Community Survey. It claims there are fines for not returning the form.
- This looks like it has the right logos. Is it legit?
- Information is VERY personal. Among other things it requires:
- Reiteration of income information, broken down into categories, that would have been reported on last year's tax form.
- Querying about physical, mental, and / or emotional illnesses and / or impairments.
- How many times someone has been married.
- Is the personal collecting, or have they collected on a VA-related disability?
- What times does the person leave for work?
- What year was their place of residence built?
While some of these may seem benign, listing a breakdown of income from all categories to a "census" organization (the Census Bureau publishes results of its surveys) seems invasive. Health questions would seem a violation of HIPPA.
Does anyone have information on this ... or know of any organizations that might have specifics about what information can be declined?
Thanks in advance.