Thank you to Better Homes & Gardens for the recipe.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh cremini and/or button mushrooms
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green sweet pepper (1 large)
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1. Place flour in a plastic bag. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In an extra-large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, half at a time if necessary, in hot oil about 12 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Transfer chicken to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Add mushrooms to skillet; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to cooker. Add drained tomatoes, sweet pepper, onion, carrots, wine, salt, and pepper to mixture in cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Before serving, stir in basil, parsley, and thyme.