by Dr. Oleh Slupchynskyj
As a board-certified plastic surgeon with a busy practice, I work with patients new to aesthetic surgery on a regular basis. Many patients do not know what to look for when seeking a plastic surgeon. Below, I provide advice for finding the right doctor for you.
1. Find a plastic surgeon that is board-certified. Board certification sets the standard for physicians, and it shows that the surgeon has reached a level of proficiency, knowledge, and experience that has allowed the certifying board to support their qualifications.
2. Just because a plastic surgeon is board-certified, however, does not mean that they perform the type of surgery you are seeking on a regular basis. Look for a physician that specializes in the type of surgery you seek. Find out how frequently they perform each procedure, and what the outcomes are.
3. Schedule a consultation with the doctor to make sure you are on the same page. See if you can talk with previous patients to discover how they felt about their experience.
4. Consult with more than one doctor before scheduling surgery in order to find just the right one.
5. Ask to see before-and-after photographs for the type of surgery you are seeking. Make sure that the results appeal to you.
6. Ask friends for recommendations. Find out what they liked and did not like about their surgeon.
7. Ask your family doctor for a recommendation.
8. Make your decision based on more than price. Any surgery by definition carries with it inherent dangers. Take into consideration how you felt with the surgeon, before-and-after photographs, credentials, experience, and patient references.