Not only is this soup a great meal for those cold winter nights, it is low in fat and calories. Try to find reduced-sodium ham for this soup. Thank you to Better Homes & Gardens for the recipe.
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrot (3 medium)
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 3 cups shredded fresh spinach
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
1. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine broth, the water, onion, celery, carrot, lentils, ham, and thyme.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
3. Stir in spinach. Ladle into bowls. Top each serving with Parmesan cheese. Makes 6 servings.
Serve with crusty French bread.