Imagine being trapped in a bathroom for 20 days without a telephone, window, or food? Do you think you can survive for three weeks like an elderly woman did? Â This article will show you how the woman survived and how you can too in such situations.
According to published sources, a Parisian woman was trapped in a bathroom for 20 days before she was rescued. Â Apparently, the 69-year-old woman became locked in her bathroom when the lock broke [door knob fell off].
Without any means to repair the broken door knob, the woman found her self trapped in the cramped bathroom without a phone, food, or window.
In an effort to signal for help, the woman banged on the plumbing hoping residents in the apartment community would hear it and investigate the source of the noise. Â They heard it but thought it was a person doing work in their unit. Â Weeks later, they planned a petition of the resident making the noise to have them sanctioned. Â Luckily, a resident observed that the woman trapped in the bathroom had not touched her newspapers in 20 days. Â She called police to investigate.
Upon arrival, police a fireman discovered the woman was trapped inside her bathroom. They gained entry to her home by breaking a window, and found the woman lying on the floor in a very weakened state. Â They learned she survived by drinking tap water for three weeks. Â She is in the hospital recovering.
If you find yourself trapped inside a bathroom or any other place of confinement, here's what to do to avoid 20 days of imprisonment:
- Find a source of water: Humans can survive for a weeks without food, but need some source of hydration. Â Short of having water at the ready, you may have to resort to drinking your own urine. Â As harsh as it sounds, it can sustain you. After all, pee is free.
- Make noise: Â Just like the woman trapped in the bathroom for 20 days, find a way to draw attention to yourself like she did. Â Scream, bang, or make some form of inconsistent annoying sound. Â You never know who's listening.
- Save your energy: Â The time it takes for you to be rescued could be a long time. That's why it is important to conserve your energy. Â Moving around too often takes away your reserves.
- Mind games: Â Being trapped in a bathroom for 20 days can be a mental challenge. Â To avoid going to pieces, do something constructive. Think about your happy place and go there in your mind. Â Play a challenging game or something. Be creative to keep your mind clear.
- Pray: Â This should have been step number one, but there could be some non-believers out there. Â But, if you're trapped in a bathroom for 20 days, it may be time to believe in a higher power.
Another survival tip is to carry a multi-tool around with you even while you sleep [not really]. Â Had the woman had it, she could have repaired the door knob, and walked out without disturbing the neighbors.