Here's another recipe from my growing recipe book. I ended up making 130 of these for a bake sale over the weekend and they got a lot of praise (and as someone who doesn't really like sugar cookies, I have to agree). They're moist and tender, flavorful and sweet without being too sweet;
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for decoration (you won't need all this, just enough to sprinkle a pinch on each cookie)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2) In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture until dough comes together.
3) Roll dough into small chunks and mold into a ball. Dough will be sticky and great for molding. Break dough into small pieces, flatten and sprinkle on sugar (you just need a pinch-it'll go a long way)
4) Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Check to see creamy yellow/slight brown and remove. Let cool and enjoy!