This is a great comfort food with a couple added twists. The added flavors make this a great dish for the whole family. This recipe takes about 90 minutes from prep to table and makes 4-6 servings. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy, a vegetable, and salad for a great meal that will impress everyone, Enjoy!
* 12 ounces chopped raw bacon
* 1 small white onion, chopped
* 5 mushrooms, chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup evaporated milk
* 6 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
* 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs or bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place bacon in a skillet and cook over medium heat until the pieces are browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease. Stir in onions and mushrooms, and cook until soft. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, stir together beef, egg, and milk. Stir in the onion and mushrooms. Mix in about 4 ounces of Swiss cheese, and all but 1 tablespoon of bacon. Stir in cornflake crumbs, and mix until well blended. Shape into a loaf, and place in a meatloaf pan.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. Drain fat, and sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon. Return to oven, and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.