I went to a Women's Health Seminar in my neighborhood recently and I picked up some leaflets. This one is about "The Relaxation Response: One Strategy for Handling Stress" I thought there may be someone here that might like this information.
Below is the leaflet --
Cardiologist Herbert Benson, M.D., first published his observations regarding the benefits of Transcendental Mediation in reducing blood pressure in 1972. In his first book, "The Relaxation Response, he outline practical steps that anyone may utilize to better manage the negative effects of stress.
Critical steps for practicing Benson's Relaxation Response are:
- Pick a focus word, image or prayer rooted in your own beliefs. In his book, Benson suggested simply using the word, "One." Other examples are: "Lord," "Abba," "Allah," "blue," "ocean," "wind," "grace," "Have mercy on me -- a sinner."
- Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
- Close your eyes.
- Relax your muscles.
- Breathe slowly and naturally, repeating your focus word over and over in rhythm with your breathing cycles.
- Assume a passive attitude. When distracting thoughts arise, do not give them your attention. Instead, allow these interruptions to pass through you freely by returning to your focus word. Other recommendations for handling distracting thoughts are: redirect attention to your breathing or use a phrase such as, "Oh well" or "Next".
- Continue doing this exercise for 10-20 minutes per session.
- Practice the Relaxation Response at least 1 or 2 times each day.
Other Books by Herbert Benson, M.D.
- Improving Health Care: 14 Case Studies from Leading Practitioners (2006)
- The Science of Sciences (2006)
- The Harvard Medical School Guide for Lowering Your Blood Pressure (2005)
- The Breakout Principle" How to Activate the Natural Trigger the Maximizes Creativity, Athletic Performance, Productivity and Personal Well-Being (2004)
- Managing Pain Before It Manges You (2001)
- The Relaxation Response (latest edition published in 2000)
- Timeless Healing (1999)
- Beyond the Relaxation Response (1994)