The first time I helped to make this recipe, we made it for Easter Sunday at church.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage (I use one roll) you can use spicy if you like it hot!
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, break them in to small pieces.
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt and mustard. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking (I have never done that part! I just put it in the oven right after mixing). Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
This is great. When I make it, I take the leftovers and put them in individual zip lock bags and freeze them. Then you can just take out one bag and have an instant breakfast to pop in the microwave.