A long time ago I mentioned my dishwasher was leaking. I had a contractor coming to my house to fix it at the beginning of August. He told me the motor was bad, and he had to order the parts directly from GE. He said he would call me back, but he never did. I called a few times every few days, and all they said was they had not received the parts from GE. During the last call I made, they told me they couldn't locate any record for the order. It turned out they never ordered the parts, and I waited almost 3 weeks for nothing! I was so mad and dropped them. (This was "Residential Appliances" in the Northern Virginia area. Avoid them!)
Then I got a different contractor. Two guys showed up right on time, and confirmed the motor was bad. He said he needed to get the parts, and walked out with his keys. I thought he meant driving back to his office or something. But no, he had the motor right in his truck. He came back, installed the new motor, tested the dishwasher, and the leak was gone. They cleaned up the area and headed to the next customer. The whole thing only took about an hour and half! That's what I call "Professionals"! Too bad I didn't get them the first time, but now I know! (I would highly recommend "Always One Appliances", 703-491-1146, to Northern Virginians. They repair all major appliances.)
As far as costs, the motor was $135, the labor was $135, plus $13 sales tax. A new dishwasher that is comparable to what we have now would have cost about $279 plus tax and $60 delivery, assuming we can install it ourselves (which I highly doubt), or another $60 installation. So I think we did well.