My husband told his father about our possible Disney trip over the weekend. Nick's dad moved from Michigan to North Carolina just about the time I met Nick. At first, we saw him 2-3 times a year. Mostly just twice- in May, and again at Thanksgiving. Then, the snow started to get to him. Being unaccostumed to it anymore, he stopped coming up at Thanksgiving.
So now he just visits in May every year. He has a brother in California he visits once a year, and his mother and another brother who live in Florida. He goes there several times a year. In fact, he's leaving this weekend for a 3-week visit.
About 2 years ago, his company (a poultry-growing/selling manufacurer- he was an accountant) was bought out by Pfizer. Since then, people were slowly let go as Pfizer absorbed them. Over the past few months, he was the only accountant left, and he finally got a retirement deal.
He's still 2 years off from retirement age, but he's looking to buy a home in Florida when he retires. Only, he plans to start looking for a home while he's down there this time. He said if he finds one he likes (he's looking within 30 minutes of Orlando, so he can find a job for 2 years in the Orlando area), then he'll buy a home now and just move from North Carolina now instead of waiting.
There isn't a job holding him in North Carolina, and he has a friend who is considering relocating from Michigan to North Carolina and said he'll just buy the trailer Nick's dad owns from him.
If that happens, he said we'll stay at his place in Florida, and he also said he's more than willing to help foot some bills if we come down. This could mean a slightly extended trip- no hotel costs, for starters, but we would also likely take the time to visit Nick's grandmother and uncle. I've never met them, nor have the kids.
They don't live in the Orlando area, but I'm not sure how far away they actually are, either. But if we were able to have access to a vehicle with Nick's dad, we'd be able to go and meet them.
Depending on if it's winter when we go, we could also go and meet up with my Grandpa, who has a winter place down there.
The only down side to this possibility, is that if he doesn't find a house when he's down there now, he'll just wait until he hits retirement age (which is March 5th, 2010- almost exactly 2 years), so if we wanted to save money, we'd have to go down later rather than when we were hoping in Spring of 2008.
But, it's something we'll look at.