Answer questions about pop culture. These are the broad questions from my local newspaper, "The Times Herald Record." I have omitted the questions about local people and events:
1. "Few have ever risen so high with so little guile or calculation. ... He was not just a nice guy. ... It was this man ... who led our republic safely through a crisis that could have turned to catastrophe." Who said it about whom?
A. Muqtada al-Sadr about Saddam Husseim
B. The Rev. Al Sharpton about James Brown
C. Dick Cheney about Gerald Ford
2. Local kids called him "Peaches" when he was growing up. Who is he and why did he make the news?
A. He's Army Lt. General David Howell Petraeus, who took over as top
U.S. military commander in Iraq.
B. He's fuzzy-faced Cal Ripken Jr., newly elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
C. He's fuzzy-domed Steve Jobs, who announced the launch of an iPhone for Apple Inc.
3. Match the number with the description.
a. Number of Iraqis killed in four bomb attacks in Baghdad April 18
b. Number of inches of rain that fell in Central Park during the April 15-16 nor'easter that caused widespread flooding
c. Number of people killed in the Virginia Tech massacre April 16
4. On the May 1 anniversary of his "Mission Accomplished" speech about Iraq, President Bush:
A. Vetoed an Iraq war funding bill that set timetables for U.S. troop withdrawals
B. Was launched into space to release the ashes of James Doohan from "Star Trek"
C. Got fitted for another airman's suit just in case he ever needs it again
5. It opened with a duo performance of "I Saw Her Standing There." It closed with "The Wind Beneath My Wings." In between, what happened?
A. Jordin Sparks prevailed over Blake Lewis to be crowned the next "American Idol"
B. Capt. Jack Sparrow was rescued as part of the two hour, 47 minute "Pirates of the Carribean:At World's End"
C. The House approved legislation to pay for the Iraq war without a troop withdrawal timeline
6. Match the person with the description
A. Paris Hilton
B. I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby
C. William Jefferson
a. Sentenced to 30 months in prison for lying and obstructing a CIA leak investigation
b. Indicted for allegedly receiving nearly $500,000 in bribes while serving as a U.S. representative from Louisiana
c. Entered jail, was released early from jail, had to return to jail for violation of probation
7. "The Sopranos" ended its HBO series run with:
A. Tony getting whacked
B. Tony and his family in the Witness Protection Program
C. A blank black screen
8. Match the public figure and the statement.
A. "I have lived the American dream"
B. "I need to grow up"
C. "I choose to plead guilty to a lesser charge in hopes of making it go away"
a. Michael Vick, after pleading guilty to a dogfighting charge
b. Idaho Sen. Larry Craig at a press conference concerning his arrest in a complaint of lewd conduct in a men's rest room in Minnesota
c. Alberto Gonzalez at a press conference announcing his resignation as U.S. Attorney General
Answers: 1. C
3. A/b, B/c, C/a
6. A/c, B/a, C/b
8. A/c, B/a, C/b