Ok here's what I have learned since I was robbed this weekend.
.. when you are traveling alone weither it is to the store, gas station, mall anywhere ... if you stop and get out of your car for any reason ...
- Stop at some where with high traffic.. lots of people .. and lights
- Preferably somewhere that you are familiar with the employee's and they with you
- If your at a gas station go to the pumps closest to the door .. they are more likely to be in the range of survelience camera's and more likely to be seen by the cashier or other customers
- Only carry with you .. on you .. or in your purse what you NEED
- Try not to carry any large amounts of cash .. for any reason .. checks and debit cards can be replaced
- ALSO NEVER ever ever carry your social security card with you! PERIOD!!! Not the number or nothing!!!!
The contents of your purse or wallet. Make SURE you have a list of the phone numbers for your credit card companies to which you carry cards for. Then if for some reason you do get robbed, or they get lost or stolen .. you have a list of who you need to call. The police told me that a theif can run your cards up thousands in a matter of a few mintues! So beware! (luckily in my case I had no available credit .. ha jokes on them right!) Plus the card companies can re issue you new cards and if the theif tries to use your cards they may get caught!
Next ... I got lucky with this one because when I was robbed I had my keys in my coat pocket along with my cell phone. So ladies ... I would have to suggest you not carrying your keys in your purse. I thought about it later and it was lucky of me to have my keys in my pocket because otherwise the theif would have not only got my purse with all its contents including my address .. but they would have had the keys to me home as well. So they could have robbed me blind at home too .. plus I would have to buy all new locks and what not ..
So I suggest keys in your pocket .... my cell phone being in my pocket was good too because they could not run up my phone bill and I could call for help.
The police officers told me it was a good thing I had my phone in my pocket .. for example if the guys didn't want my purse and wanted me instead .. I would have been able to call 911 if ever they got distracted and I could be tracked through my cell.
So my advice .. keys and phone in pocket when walking around ..even at a gas station ladies! I got robbed early morning at a gas station on my way to work so put your gaurds up!!!!
Next suggestions ladies .... I was pumping gas facing my car ... had I have been leaning on my car facing away I may have seen the person coming at me .. so I thought I would pass on the suggestion of when pumping gas be aware of where your back is facing!
Police told me too had I have put my purse back in my car and locked it .. or dropped it in my trunk it would have detoured the thieves to someone else. I would not have been and 'easy target'
I did one smart thing even though I was panic'd! I DID NOT FIGHT BACK. I did not resist or try to grab my purse back. The police said in these situations it is best not to fight back. If someone is simply going to steal from you .. let them take the possesions and do not fight. For all you know they could have a gun in their pocket and you just died for no reason .. DO NOT FIGHT BACK ... unless .. the individual is coming for YOU .. then fight to the death! (hopefully the evil doers)
Screaming .. no matter how load you can scream is not going to save ya. Not to mention in panic mode .. you may not think to scream.
I know I am now a paranoid mess ... but I will be a safe paranoid mess! Police had a few other suggestions
- If your a routine type of a person .. VARY them. Do not become predictable to an assailant.
- Never forget your surroundings .. observe at all times ..
- If home alone .. turn extra lights on in other rooms too. Make it appear your not alone
- If your leaving your home for long periods of time have a timer on your lights .. and have a neighbor or friend to keep an eye out for you
- Lock all your doors to your home and your car ... even if your driving down the road .. have your car doors locked
- Keep your purse and wallet OUT of plain sight. If you driving or in your car do not keep it on the seat next to you .. instead maybe behind the seat, in the trunk, on the floor covered up .. anything is better then in plain site.
- If your walking alone ... the policeman told me to keep your keys in your hand. Weave them in your knuckles. Then if someone is to approach you to harm you you can pack a better punch and scratch the assailant .. thus collecting their DNA and leaving a mark that can help ID them later!
- MACE .. or Pepperspray!!! Illegal in some states but not in Michigan. If your going to be assaulted of kidnapped you can temporarily blind the assailant with it and mark them to be caught later .. plus it gives you time to escape. Mace re-acts to black light .. so if the person you sprayed washes it off and seeks medical help for his or her eyes ... they will still be responsive to black light and thus can be caught!!!!
- In cases of kidnapping ... or rapes .. scary thought but keep in mind. If possible leave a trails of evidence of yourself or the evil doer. There are cases when the rapist was captured because the victim threw her tampon out the car window .. thus later could id the spot it happened and lead the police to the car of the person .. and one thing led to another. So if possible drop clues .. tissue .. torn clothing peices .. spit .. anything!
Ok .. I will stop now ... I just SO much so want other people to learn from my bad experience to we will all remember it can happen anywhere at any time ...
If you have or know any other suggestions .. or have had experience too then please share with us!