According to the Unicorn Museum (http://www.unicornmuseum.org/index.html), Unicorns are mentioned nine times in the KJV Bible.Â For example:
- "the strength of an unicorn." (Numbers 23:22 KJV)
- "Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?" (Job 39:9-11 KJV)
"But thou, Lord, art most high for evermore. For, lo, thine enemies, O Lord, for, lo, thine enemies shall perish; all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered. But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil. Mine eye also shall see my desire on mine enemies, and mine ears shall hear my desire of the wicked that rise up against me." (Psalm 92:8-11 KJV)
Based on the idea that 'if it's in the Bible, it must be true', the Unicorn Museum was created to promote belief in the Biblical Truth of unicorns.Â
This museum is actually an invention by the fine folks atÂ This Week in Science (TWIS) (http://www.twis.org/), aÂ weekly science radio talk show broadcasting from KDVS 90.3FM on the UC Davis campus since 2000.Â They created this ficticious museum and its associated web site as a parody of the recently opened Creation Museum (http://creationmuseum.org/).Â Â Â Â
The Creation Museum is multi-million dollar facility that opened in Petersburg, KY, in June 2007.Â Designed by a former Universal Studios exhibit director, this museum was created to exhibit the creationist's viewpoint of the bible.Â They list their purpose as follows:
- First, it acts as a rallying place, calling people back to the absolute truth of the Bible. It is a place of revival, a starting point for a new reformation.
- Second, it is a witnessing tool. There will be those who sneer, but some will be challenged to think, and still others may come to believe.
- And finally, it is a valuable, unprecedented resource for information and education, enabling us to always be ready to give an answer (a reasoned, logical defense) for the hope that is within us (1 Peter 3:15).
The museum attempts to show the visitor thatÂ the Earth is 6,000 years old, that the Genesis account of creation is literally true, and that man and dinosaur once lived side by side. In other words, it attempts to show thatÂ most of the modern sciences of geology and biology is bunk.Â Hence the parody created by the TWIS radio show.Â
Though controversial, this museum has thousands of visitors a day and itÂ took less than two months for it to celebrate itsÂ 100,000th visitor.Â Â
Now back to those unicorns.Â Parody or no parody, I believe they did exist!Â Don't you?