Winter is coming up, fast! Make a cute fleece hat for your kids, easy to make, very quick, and the colors and patterns are nearly unlimited!
1/2 Yard Fleece Fabric (I stock up on fleece remenents found at Wal-Mart & Jo-Ann's, usually they are discounted quite a bit, and I get a great variety this way!
Needle & Thread (Or sewing machine)
1 - 6 inch strip of fleece
- First, use a fabric tape measure to measure the head you wish to make the hat for.
- Next, cut a peice of fleece 16 inches wide, and as long as the head measurement- PLUS 2 inches to allow for seams.
- Fold the fleece, so that the 16 inch edges are flat together. Sew a zigzag stitch with a machine, or a basic straight stitch by hand, up the side, leaving the top 3-4 inches unsewn. Turn inside out so the seam is inside.
- Roll the bottom edge up twice, so that the seam is hidden. You can do a quick stitch to hold it into place, too.
- Gather the top unsewn area and tie off with the fleece strip. You can leave as it is, or you can fringe it with scissors. I recommend fringing it before you tie it off.
Sew two strips of contrasting fleece back to back, turning inside out so the seams are inside. Construct as mentioned above, for a contrasting color on the turned up side, and added color to the top fringe.
Add buttons, fleece cut out shapes, ribbons and more to the turned up cuff for decoration.
Use ribbon instead of fleece to tie off the top, or decrotive cord.
Total time spent- about 10-15 minutes.
This is a great craft for kids to help out with, or even do themselves.