Rawi Hage, Vincent Lam, Pascale Quiviger, GaÃ©tan Soucy and Carol Windley are the five authors shortlisted for The Scotiabank Giller Prize, possible Canada's highest paying literary award.
The five finalists were chosen from a longlist of 15 books drawn from 101 titles submitted for consideration by 36 Canadian publishing houses.
The shortlisted finalists are:
- Rawi Hage for his novel De Niro's Game, published by House of Anansi Press
- Vincent Lam for his short story collection, Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures, published by Doubleday Canada
- Pascale Quiviger for her novel The Perfect Circle, translation by Sheila Fischman, published by Cormorant Books
- GaÃ©tan Soucy for his novel The Immaculate Conception, translation by Lazer Lederhendler, published by House of Anansi Press
- Carol Windley for her short story collection, Home Schooling, published by Cormorant Books
The winner will receive C$40,000 and will be announced at a gala black tie dinner and awards ceremony to be held at Toronto's Four Seasons Hotel on November 7.
Each of the four finalists will receive C$2,500.
- "Scotiabank Giller Prize Finalists Announced: Five authors are in the running," OhmyNews International, October 7, 2006.