So I went 11/16 last week. Not bad.
Stories from last week's games:
1. The Packers suck.
2. The Raiders suck more.
3. Daunte Culpepper (Miami) might suck.
4. Drew Bledsoe (Dallas) is already feeling backup QB Tony Romo threatening to steal his job.
5. A linebacker can send a QB to the hospital with a severe concussion and not get a penalty (Trent Green, Kansas City). Actually, it did look like a clean hit.
6. Fox has even more stupid/annoying buzzing and whirring sound effects built into their broadcasts than they did last year. On the plus side, they still have the best pre-game show.
7. The ESPN Monday Night team is on-camera way, way, way too much. More replays, please.
The fact thatESPN kept showing Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes sitting in the owner's suite at the Redskins/Vikings game bugged me. Tom looked annoyed and annoying. Katie looked pretty and unhappy. Suri was nowhere in sight.
So . . . On to Week 2 in the NFL
Obviously, it's very early in the season. Still, nobody wants to start out 0-2. That makes this weekend's games important for teams that thought they would be contenders this year, such as Miami and Carolina, both of which lost last weekend.
Newsflash to Patriots fans -- the Pats don't look nearly as tough as they used to. Now that they've lost actually lost star WR Deion Branch (who signed with Seattle this week), somebody's gonna have to step it up a bit on the offensive side. I'm not counting them out and I still expect them to win their division (mainly because I don't think Miami will turn out to be much of a threat), but . . . all good things come to an end.
Here are my picks for week 2:
SUN, SEP 17
Carolina at Minnesota = Minnesota
Buffalo at Miami = Miami
NY Giants at Philadelphia = Giants
New Orleans at Green Bay = New Orleans
Houston at Indianapolis = Indianapolis
Detroit at Chicago = Chicago
Cleveland at Cincinnati = Cincinnati
Tampa Bay at Atlanta = Atlanta
Oakland at Baltimore = Baltimore
Arizona at Seattle = Seattle
St. Louis at San Francisco = St. Louis
Tennessee at San Diego = San Diego
New England at NY Jets = New England
Kansas City at Denver = Denver
Washington at Dallas = Dallas
MON, SEP 18
Pittsburgh at Jacksonville = Jacksonville
* * * *
Week 1 results: 11/16 68.75%
Year to Date: 11/16 68.75%